Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day

I know. Don't hurt yourself trying to figure out how I made it all the way to Valentines Day on the actual Day of Valentines! I'm trying to keep you on your toes.

I'm not one to love Valentine's Day. In fact, growing up I disliked Valentines the most. You see, I went to a different school than my neighborhood/church friends. Because of this I felt that I needed/wanted to deliver Valentine's at night to them doing the ol door bell ditch method. It was so fun. However, nobody brought me a Valentine. Every Valentine's Day I would sit in the living room waiting for someone to ring the doorbell so I could run and find a Valentine for me, but it didn't happen. My sister got Valentines. I didn't like her very much. I guess I was a little obvious in my sorrowful state and my sister had the nerve to decide she was going to try to make me happy. She delivered a Valentine to my door, doorbell ditch style. I was so excited, until I found out it was from her. I'm sure I was ornery about it, but to this day I remember how much she loved me. I remember her thoughtfulness like it was yesterday. I was probably cranky to her about it because I always looked up to her and to think that she wanted to do something to bring me joy and happiness was more than I could understand. But I get it now, and every year I think about my sister Julie on Valentines Day.

So, with that dirty laundry out there drying, we'll move on to this Valentine's Day. I wanted to make it special for my kids. Since I pulled them out of public school and started homeschooling them (what? I didn't get to that part in my catch up? Ooops. I will. It comes after Christmas. :)) I was worried they would feel left out of holidays like this. We still bought Valentines and made them for some of the kids friends. But from me, they got an experience. I found this fun idea at Gourmet Mom on the Go

They sat down for dinner and were handed a menu. The menu looked like this on the cover...


Then inside was where they placed their order. On the blank line they wrote the corresponding number for what they wanted during that course. But, of course, they didn't have the 'translation' available to them.


Winni was pretty excited when her first Course was the Ice Cream Sundae, Orange crush, and a toothpick.


Maeli's first course was Orange Crush (orange soda), jam and a toothpick. I have to say, she is the only one who didn't complain that they didn't have the right stuff. :) And she did awesome with that toothpick.


Grady is easily pleased! His first course was a toothpick, a napkin, and Parmesan Cheese. He thought he hit the jackpot!



Traes first course was a knife, a napkin and an ice cream sundae. He was so excited that he got the ice cream just like Winni. Then he realized he didn't have a spoon, just a knife. At that point he didn't want to play the game anymore, but we forced him to. It's called Forced Family Fun for a reason!! (thanks Lori!)



The meal was 4 courses long. I think Maeli is the only one that touched her food before the final course. She was done with her jam before I could get her her 2nd course. What a good girl. Since this was so much fun, and I was surprised at how well my kids ordered, here is the rundown of their meal.

Winni
2nd- knife, jam, and a roll I was really impressed with that one!
3rd- napkin, spaghetti sauce, noodles
4th- cheese, spoon, carrots, fork

Trae
2nd- fork, toothpick, cheese this was just like adding fuel to the fire. At one point he got up and got himself a spoon. He was determined to eat his ice cream first. He eventually just used his fork!
3rd- roll, jam, carrots
4th- orange crush, spaghetti sauce, noodles, spoon his beloved spoon, and he had no ice cream left!

Grady
2nd- carrots, knife, ice cream sundae
3rd- noodles, spoon, fork
4th- orange crush, jam, spaghetti sauce, roll

Maeli
2nd- roll, spaghetti sauce, noodles
3rd- spoon, carrots, fork
4th- ice cream sundae, knife, napkin, cheese

Daddy of course I made him play!
1st- napkin, roll, spoon
2nd- ice cream sundae, toothpick, noodles
3rd- orange crush, fork, spaghetti sauce
4th- knife, carrots, jam, cheese

I was surprised that nobody got spaghetti sauce before noodles. They were all fairly good sports. As you can see, Winni, Trae, and Grady got ice cream before spaghetti. Although they didn't eat it right when they got it, they did eat it before touching their spaghetti...and then they were full! I think my kids know that I love them. They are pretty awesome! Love you monkeys!

7 comments:

Melinda said...

That's awesome! I think you're a better mom than me. No more webinars for you because you make me feel like a slacker! :) I love the picture of Maeli eating jam with a toothpick!

April said...

This is fantastic! And now the pictures make even more sense that I saw on facebook. Can I steal your awesomeness for next year? Maybe James won't see those pictures ;)

Rebecca said...

sound like fun. I remember doing mixed up dinners like that and thinking they were the best. Though I'm off sugar we made sugar cookies and door bell ditched a couple of valentines. Still lots of fun.

Julie said...

Thanks for getting over hating me. I actually am honored that Valentines reminds you of me....even if you have no good childhood memories of me!!! lol. You are a darling mom. I am proud of you for getting over your issues! :)

youreprettytoo said...

So fun and cute! I love you and I love Valentine's Day and I love you sister. She doorbell ditched me too yesterday and I too was excited until I found out it was her also! :) J/K! I;m sorry you missed out on the yummy chocolates. But yesterday I remembered how you and your sister gave me a very special Valentine 2 years ago when I really need it and really hated Valentine's Day! love and miss you!

Marilyn said...

Do you remember our mixed up dinners? You were a grouch sometimes. Sorry you had to go through that and have a sister Like Julie. She was a hard one to follow. I know how u feel. But it is great now and we learned from it. I guaess

Missy said...

K, your sister is the cutest ever. I don't know that I would have been that awesome.
I totally miss you! This was a fun post to read