Sunday, March 1, 2009

Apparently Bigamy Won't Work in My Family!

In case you didn't know, we have turtles. Red ear sliders. We have had them since they were itty bitty! They were about the size of a pretzel, I would say. They are now about the size of my hand and very cool! We started out with 10, and I slowly gave them away when Walter wasn't looking, until we were down to 4. I just found out back in January that we have 1 female and 3 males. I thought, nice job little lady! What girl wouldn't appreciate these odds! I was also excited that it wasn't 1 male and 3 females. I really don't think I could handle millions of baby turtles. So, I've been happy with my little turtles. Walter calls them part of the family. We saw 2 scenarios before us. We keep our little family of turtles and they live to be about 40 and we cry and have a memorial service when they die of old age. Or, they increase their posterity and we become turtle breeders because of all the studs we have! We didn't see scenario 3 coming at all!!

I realize males can be pesky! Our sweet little lady was getting a little tired of all the attention she was getting. We have a "log" in there that they used to play on/in/around, but now they have gotten too big. The female, lets call her Venus, and her suitors Michealangelo, Raphael, and Donatello, just for fun, still tries to hide in there. She usually only gets her head and a little of her shell in. She hangs out there a lot. Now, I'm not sure what happened last night, but apparently her men got tired of her hiding from them, or maybe "sleeping around" that they ganged up on her and decided to do something about it. Or, maybe she got stuck in that log and drowned and they decided to "finish her off", but either way, those dang MEN ate our sweet little Venus! She was even bigger than them! Luckily, for me, Walter was the first to find the massacre this morning as he was leaving for work and took care of it before my children and I woke up.

So, basically, we aren't turtle fans anymore. If you eat your girlfriend/mating partner/wife you are immediately kicked out of the family. We just can't allow that! So, these members of our family are up for adoption if anyone would like them. They love to eat lettuce, fish, turtle food and apparently turtle friends. If you'd like them, you can have them. However, the tank is a little more pricey. If you want the tank and filter and lights I'm gonna have to charge you for it. I'm asking $400 for everything, and the turtles are free! If you just want the turtles, that's fine. I'll use the tank for something less masochistic, like fish!

PS, if you see my ad on KSL, it'll be something more along the lines of, "Friendly, happy, fun loving turtles need a new home. We are moving and just can't get them to our new home in Maryland. They are part of our family and we will miss them terribly! 75 gallon tank ($500), Rena XP4 Filter ($50), heat lamp and sun lamp along with other accessories. Asking $400 for everything."

10 comments:

Amber said...

That's sad, disgusting, and kind of funny. LOL! Poor Venus! Those dang MEN! Seriously! I'd kick them out too!

Julie said...

I knew those turtles were trouble from the beginning!! It's interesting what it actually took for Walter to decide they weren't part of the family anymore. Good luck fining homes for them. You know you could give more of them to Kamille and Jeff...unless Walter won't allow that.

Elise said...

Oh thats so sad that they are cannibols! (however you spell it) anyway, amber, don't you use Mary Kay? Random question but i'm just wondering. thanks for your advice on my blog, I'm not so sure i want to sell something that is more of a fad like clothes and sentsy and jewelry, i'd rather sell something that stands the test of time like marykay, pampered chef or tuperware.... anyway, i'm curious about the marykay becaue thats definitly where you'd make the most money, but did you give up on it? Sorry about the long comment and sorry about your turtles ;)

Lori said...

SICK!

Anna said...

that is so morbid. i would be tempted to take oe off your hands, but then i think about how i don't want a cannibal pet! :) never got the chance to thank you for the dog thing. it's perfect!

Melinda said...

Holy cow! That's an expensive tank! You spend more on your turtles than I do on my kids.

My condolences. May Venus rest in peace.

Micaela said...

Oh, that's gross! Maybe you could just set them out in the wild, although I'm not sure other creatures would appreciate cannibals amongst them... ;)

Kimmie said...

So sad for Venus! Those men, can't live with them and can't live with them!!!Good luck finding homes for them.

The Peterson 5 said...

That's sad...Do your kids know your selling their turtles? For their sake I'm glad Walter found the catastrophe first!!

youreprettytoo said...

I don't knwo what to comment about this story other than that is gross, but apparently I don't have to comment anything because you think I have already commented!