Saturday, June 14, 2008

Adventure Days



My sister Julie and I were in "command" of Adventure Days this last Tuesday! The theme we chose was Military Boot Camp. With Walter gone, we have access to all of his leftover uniforms without having to ask permission, so we were set! We spent ALL morning filling up water balloons. My fingers were killing me by the time I was done with the 200+ I was given to fill. My parents thought I was up to my illegal shenanigans again! But I wasn't. I was just planning to torment unsuspecting victims. Anyway, everyone got to the park at 10 and the fun began.



After getting all of our camo face paint on...



We were ready to get started!

We started off with a flag ceremony of sorts. We had all the kids stand and do the Pledge of Allegiance. Then we talked about people in the military. Everybody who knew someone in the military raised their hand. It was great to see how proud they were to raise their hand saying that they knew someone that cool! After the Pledge we taught them some a cadence we had made up. It went like this...



I don't know but I've been told
(for some reason, they ALWAYS have to start this way!)
My mom sure is looking old!

She tells me to clean my room
I tell her to get the broom

If I want to go to Disneyland
I better lend a helping hand

It's summer so let's have some fun
Scream out loud when we get to 1

5 * 4 * 3 * 2 * 1 AHHHHHH

It was awesome! Then we split into 3 groups. We had Boot Camp, Injured Soldier, and Technicals.

Boot Camp



First they had to Army crawl to the playground. Then the older kids had to climb the slide while the little kids did some things on the ground. They were timed and they loved it! I didn't get to see this drill in action because I was in charge of...

Technicals

Every member of the Armed Forces needs a Dog Tag! I really should have taken a picture of the final product, but here they are in the process of...



And of course, we need to know how to assemble a grenade...



Promptly followed by eating it. Mmmmm....yummmm....grenades taste soooo good!

Injured Soldier

At this station the troops had to show their camaraderie as they put on the uniform,



dodged through trees and helped an injured soldier by wrapping their wound and helping them to safety



However, I think this little one might have been kicked out for public nudity!

Then we rounded up the troops to congratulate them on their graduation from Boot Camp. We shouted our cadences one more time as their moms stood on the side so proud. During the last verse, we started the countdown. 5*4*3*2*1 Ahhhhh!!! And Ahhhh it was as the mom unloaded their super soakers onto their kids!



At which point the kids fully understood the motto, always be prepared. Little did they, or their mom's know, that we had their backs with 450 water balloons ready and waiting. It was an all out water war!



The tote behind Cannon was 1 of 4 water balloon holders. I think everybody won! It was so fun!!

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

That is so fun and cool. Thanks for all the details. Maybe you should be a traveling adventure party and bring it here. Love you guys!

Chelsey Hansen said...

That's a really fun idea! Was it for primary? I might have to use it!

youreprettytoo said...

You know Julie thinks God is smiling down on the west side Adventure days because it has rained for 2 weeks during the East side adventure days. She doesn't think the people on the east side know how to have fun! Although i do think we should copy some of these ideas for ours in 2 weeks. It looks like it was a blast.

Missy said...

Where do you come up with these ideas??? It looks like so much fun, and I'm thinking, when are we going to play again?? Hmm? WHEN?