Tuesday, June 17, 2008

An OAF!?!

Today's trivia...What the crap is an Oaf?? Well, I looked it up.

Oaf: n: an awkward stupid person
syn: lout, clod, STUMBLEBUM, goon, lubber, lummox, lump, gawk

Well, now that most of you are confused as to my new fascination with such a wonderful word, let me explain.

I once played rec soccer! ONCE! OK, maybe twice. I'll put it right out there, I wasn't all that good. However, I was hoping that after giving birth to 3 children, I might have somehow acquired some skills. Turns out I might not have. But that didn't stop me from joining Julie's old lady soccer team for some fun exercise. Last night was our first game. Our team is the S factor. I thought it meant we were sexy or something. Turns out, in my case, the S is for Stumblebum! For the first half of the game I was goalie. I was awesome! Nothing got past me! Luckily I had some great defenders so not much got to me, either. I didn't exactly have any shin guards, but in my defense I was told we were old ladies having fun...not mean girls kicking other girls in the shins. So, anyway, I was goalie so that I wouldn't get kicked in the shins. For the 2nd half they brought me out of my safe zone. Whew! It was a lot of running, but I wasn't going to let these girls beat me! I was in there fighting for the ball! (It might not have looked like it to those watching, but this is my story on my blog! In my mind I was a monster!) As I was up against some girl she said, as I got the ball away from her, "get off of me you OAF!!" AHHH!!! I ran a few steps, turned back and looked at her in shock! Then I turned to my teammates and said, with a sad face, "she called me a oaf!" I thought it was so funny!! I still can't find a picture of an oaf, but if I could I would totally have it right here! A lot of comments went through my head, but I refrained. And, at the end of the game she apologized. And, if I was a nice girl, I would have just accepted her apology and moved on, and not blogged about it. But, "It's too late to apologize!"



OK I forgave her. Mostly because I think she was afraid of me, and I probably did look like an oaf!!

2 comments:

Jennifer Never said...

O my goodness Amber! I'm sorry. As much as you are over it I'm sure, that had to hurt your feelings. Let me just tell you...You are not an Oaf! You are beautiful, intelligent, and a wonderful mother. That girl was dumb. You were just too good for her and she got frustrated. I must say...I think I would have peed in my pants if I had witnessed that whole exchange!!

Tamra said...

That was funny. If you want to feel better about your soccer skills I could come one time and play a little for you, well actually I can't because I am really, really bad. Thanks for the great laugh though. Maybe oaf is a term of endearment, start calling random strangers "hey you big oaf" and see if they smile back.