Monday, June 1, 2009

Moving Day!

I had a wonderful night last night, and the last few nights! I was visited by friends and family and pretended I wasn't moving! But, alas, this morning came and it was everything I dreamt it would be...last minute packing of toothbrushes and make-up, pretending I'm not crying, and then letting it all out, on Kari's front porch. We decided to leave a few minutes early, and Kari hadn't come to say bye yet because I told her 8, so we headed to her house. Once I knocked on the door I started to lose it. Her poor kids! Finn and Annie answered the door and were somehow able to understand my blubbering. They let me know that their mom wasn't home and I went on my blubbering way to the car. Luckily, I found Kari along the route to Julie's house. She was out jogging, so I pulled over and gave her a hug. Then I headed to Julie's house to pick her up so she could drive us to the airport and I blubbered at her house with her kids, too! I think the most heart-breaking sight was seeing Eli on the front porch, crying with my mom! I didn't think Trae or Grady would fully understand what was really going on, but I thought Winni did. She seemed to be handling it well. She told everybody that she would be back in a minute. We got to the airport and said good-bye to Julie. My dad came along with us into the airport. I was concerned with getting through security, so he checked in as if he was flying with us and got us to the gate. They finally boarded the plane and we got all situated. I'm pretty sure that before they even closed the door, my kids had gone through their snacks...ALL OF THEM! Grady was acting a little ornery and tired (he'd been up since 5:30, the little butt!) but didn't seem to be settling down. Once we were in the air I started to pull out more of my tricks. The Leapster's! Walter's dad was nice enough to give Winni and Trae their own Leapsters last Christmas. I pulled them out for the kids to play with. After about 2 minutes of playing excitement, both games turned off! Dead batteries. I brought crayons. So they colored. That actually lasted for about 1/2 hour. Grady was entertained with just the little crayon box and the 4 crayons that went with it. Putting them in and out and in and out. When that party was over we pulled out their video games that Walter had bought, that he felt they needed. At this point, I needed them. They are games that play each other. I don't know what they do, but that is where the entertainment lies. Playing against your sibling. Well, one of them doesn't fit together right, so it didn't work. I tried to entertain them with the in-flight movie, but they couldn't see it. I bought more snacks when they were offered and my kids gobbled up the ones they liked, and Grady threw the ones he didn't like down the aisle. Grady did take a little nap. While he was napping, Winni and Trae decided they were tired, so they got all situated and settled in. Then they let me know they were just kidding! So they bugged the guy behind us. I thought about telling them to leave him alone, but then they would be bugging me! So, I let it go on. Also, during the duration of our 4 hour flight, and mostly while Grady was asleep on me, Winni had to go potty a bagillion times! I thought about putting a diaper on her just so I wouldn't have to deal with this, but then I'd have more diapers to change, so I didn't. After the movie I started wondering how much longer we had. It had seemed like an eternity. Surely we were almost there. The captain came on and let us know there was 1 1/2 hours MORE! That is when I started crying again. I believe this is why they don't let mothers with small children ride in the exit seat. I was ready to jump! So, after a few more potty visits, diaper changes where the diaper tabs ripped off and I was left diaper-less, and another round of no where near strong enough sprite, we started to land. This is where it always happens. Winni tells me she is tired. So, she settles in again. Trae did too! And, before you know it, just in time for landing, they are both OUT COLD! I put shoes and socks back onto my sleeping children and wait for the plane to empty. One lady said to me as she walked by, "wow, they did great!" I looked at her and said, "wow, you must have been far enough away! :)" The lady that sat a few rows back from us followed my comment with a "where were you sitting!" Ah, I love nice people. So, I picked up my bag, Trae's backpack and roller bag, and Trae (cause he wasn't waking up) and told Winni and Grady to start walking. I loved watch the flight attendants watch me struggle, and continue on in their conversations. Finally, the one flight attendant who almost made me cry during flight, because he put his hand on my back and conveyed to me that I could do this, took one look at me, and ran over to help me exclaiming, "oh gosh mom! you just try to do everything!" I realize I'm very selfish today, and judgemental, but it's was my day and nothing was going to make it any better. We head out to baggage claim and Walter isn't there yet. He got caught up at the car place waiting for our rental car, which btw is a piece o crap dodge caravan with illegal carseats, I'm sure! I get all 5 of our 48 lb bags and in 2 trips I get them all over by the door. As I'm pushing the stroller full of kids and bags and pulling 2 bags, I walk past a man who looks at me and actually says, "I hope someone is coming to help you!" I almost responded something to the effect that he should help me, but I didn't. Walter asked me to make my way out across the first street of rental car shuttles and such, to the passenger pick up area. I found a man with a big cart who gets paid to do this sort of thing. After he loads it he makes sure I know he works for tips. Really? You don't work for single mom's about to lose it? Just cause you are a nice guy? I probably would have been more generous, since I really needed his help, but after his comment his pay went down to $1/minute of "service". As soon as he dropped all my bags at the curb I promptly handed him $2, he promptly ran away. We loaded into the van, when Walter got there, and headed to our temporary housing. On the way there I lost it again. Walter couldn't figure out what was wrong. Well, I'm sure he knew what was wrong, but he wanted me to tell him. So I did! It went something like this:

Walter: You have to tell me what is wrong (he said it kind and lovingly)

Me: boo hoo hoo

Walter: Honey, what is going on?

Me: I want to go home!

And then it was out in the open. And now I feel better. Our little apartment is kinda cute. It has 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. The kitchen would be fun to use, but if we eat out then his work will pay for it. I look forward to eating out for breakfast. It's my favorite meal! I look forward to IHOP and other pancake houses. So, we are here, we are back together as a family, we are alive and I will survive (most likely)! Good-bye Utahrds, hello Baltimorons! This is about to get interesting!

3 comments:

Melinda said...

I'm tired reading about your trip. I haven't done the airplane thing with kids for 2 years now and you've reminded me why. I think we're going to drive to CA next time. It would be so much easier! You're officially a Baltimoron now! Hahahaha. That's too funny.

Lori said...

Wow! What a trip! Life can only improve after that adventure. Love you so much!

Rebecca said...

I'm so sorry. I wish I could have helped. I wish Walter would have helped. Adventure.